Mychajlo Dmytrenko, 88, artist active
in Ukraine and diaspora
Liudmyla Morozova, 89, artist known for portraits, landscapes
Mychajlo Dmytrenko, 88, artist active in Ukraine and diaspora
DETROIT - Mychajlo Dmytrenko, a leading artist of the older generation who was active in the organizational life of Ukrainian artists both here and in Ukraine, died on March 8 at the age of 88.
Apart from his talent as an artist working in various genres, Mr. Dmytrenko was the last of his generation who for some six decades worked for the promotion of Ukrainian art, thereby contributing to its development in the diaspora.
Mr. Dmytrenko was born on November 9, 1908, in the town of Lokhvytsi in the Poltava region. He graduated from the Kyiv State Art Institute in 1930, where he studied with the renowned Fedir Krychevsky, and worked as his assistant and subsequently as professor of drawing at the insitute (1935-1939).
In 1939 Mr. Dmytrenko was in Lviv, where he was active in the organization of the association of Ukrainian artists, both under the Soviet and German occupations of western Ukraine.
Fleeing to Munich in 1944, he was instrumental in organizing the Ukrainian Association of Artists (Ukrainska Spilka Obrazotvorchykh Mysttsiv, 1947-1951), an organization of Ukrainian emigre artists established in Munich in 1947, most of whose members were in displaced persons camps in Germany or Austria. Apart from taking part in exhibitions as a leading member of the association (of particular note, in the 1947 International Displaced Persons' Art Exhibition in Munich), Mr. Dmytrenko was editor of the association's short-lived art journal Ukrainske Mystetstvo (1947).
Upon emigrating to Toronto in 1951, he continued his organizing activity. He was one of the founders and served as the first president of the Ukrainian Association of Creative Artists in Canada, established in 1955.
Mr. Dmytrenko was employed as chief designer with an architectural firm in Detroit where he settled permanently in 1960.
Among the notable exhibitions of Ukrainian art organized on Mr. Dmytrenko's initiative in North America were: an exhibit held on the occaision of the first congress of Ukrainian emigre artists of Canada and the U.S., held at the Arts Pavilion at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto in 1954; and a representative exhibition of Ukrainian art at MacGregor Memorial Community Arts Center at Wayne State University in Detroit in 1960.
Mr. Dmytrenko was known for his portraits, especially of women, graphic art and illustration, as well as icon and mural painting, and the design of mosaics and stained-glass.
A major portion of his work in North America was devoted to the design of church interiors, including designs executed for St. Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church in South Bend, Ind. (1956), and St. Colomba Roman Catholic Cathedral in Youngstown, Ohio (1957). He also received commissions for Ukrainian churches, among them: St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral in Toronto (jointly with Volodymyr Balas and Ivan Kubarsky); Immaculate Conception Ukrainian Catholic Church in Hamtramck, Mich. (1961-1964); St. Constantine Ukrainian Catholic Church in Minneapolis, Minn. (1972-1977); and St. Eugene Byzantine Catholic Church in Bedford, Ohio (1976).
Mr. Dmytrenko was also responsible for the over-all interior design - mural and icon painting, mosaic design and the iconostasis - at St. George Ukrainian Catholic Church in New York (1977-1989).
Among Mr. Dmytrenko's graphic works are illustrations for the epic poem "Poet" (1946) by Teodosii Osmachka and the poetry collection "Bilyi Svit" (1947) by Vasyl Barka.
Mr. Dmytrenko's works have appeared in numerous group and individual exhibits in Ukraine, Germany, Canada and the U.S.
A monograph of the artist's work was published in 1990.
In 1995 the artist established the Mychajlo Dmytrenko Arts Foundation in Santa Ana, Calif., for the purpose of awarding scholarships to art students. Last year two awards were presented to students of Kyiv's National Academy of Art, Mr. Dmytrenko's alma mater.
A requiem service for Mr. Dmytrenko was held on March 11 at St. Andrew Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Detroit. Interment was at St. Andrew the First-Called Apostle Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery in South Bound Brook, N.J., on March 13.
Mr. Dmytrenko is survived by his sons, Orest and Mark (with his wife, April), and a sister, Maria Ivashchenko.
Donations in memory of Mr. Dmytrenko may be made to: The Mychajlo Dmytrenko Arts Foundation,12202 Country Line, Santa Ana, CA 92705.
Liudmyla Morozova, 89, artist known for portraits, landscapes
HUNTER, N.Y.- Noted Ukrainian artist Liudmyla Morozova died on March 1 at the age of 89.
Ms. Morozova was born on July 6, 1907, in Kyiv. She was a graduate of the Kyiv State Art Institute (1931), where she studied with the renowned painter and professor of art Fedir Krychevsky. Ms. Morozova began exhibiting her work in 1935.
A post-war refugee, she emigrated to the U.S. in 1951. She taught at the Queensboro Art Society in Queens, N.Y., before settling permanently in Hunter, N.Y.
Ms. Morozova worked in the genres of portrait painting, landscape and still life. Her landscapes of Greece form an important part of her oeuvre, a result of her travels to and fascination with that country.
Solo exhibitions of her works have been held in New York, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Washington.
Her works are found in museums and private collections in Ukraine, Germany, Austria, England, France, Australia and Canada.
In the late 1970s, Ms. Morozova moved permanently to Hunter, where she had her studio. Among the local Ukrainians in the Catskill resort community she was known for her staunch individualism and for her hospitality in welcoming those interested in art, as well as various visitors from Ukraine.
During the last years of the artist's life, she donated funds and proceeds from the sale of her art work to the project for the rebuilding of the Cathedral of St. Michael of the Golden Domes in Kyiv, which was destroyed by the Soviets in 1934.
A memorial service for Ms. Morozova was held on March 7 at St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church in Hunter.
In accordance with Ms. Morozova's wishes, funeral services were held at the Cathedral of St. Volodymyr in Kyiv, with interment at the Berkivtsi Cemetery on March 12.
A commemorative program was held at the Ukrainian Academy of Art with the participation of professors, academicians, government officials, museum directors and members of the arts intelligentsia. Paying their respects at the commemoration were: A. Chebykin, dean, Ukrainian Academy of Art; Oleksander Fedoruk, chairman, National Commission for the Return of Cultural Treasures to Ukraine; Marian Kots, Lexington, N.Y., on behalf of the Ukrainian community and friends of the deceased in the diaspora; O. Mishchenko, vice-president, Ukrainian Artists' Association; V. Rozhok, vice-minister of the Ukrainian Ministry of Culture; M. Rudko, chairman, Committee for Humanitarian Affairs at the Office of the President of Ukraine; and M. Romanyshyn, director, National Museum of Art, Kyiv.
Taking part in the memorial repast were the Rev. Volodymyr of St. Volodymyr's Cathedral as well as Evhen Sverstiuk, Irma Totska of the St. Sophia Museum in Kyiv; artist and professor of art Vasyl Zabashta; and Mr. Fedoruk, among others.
Copyright © The Ukrainian Weekly, April 6, 1997, No. 14, Vol. LXV
| Home Page |